Court issues fresh summons for IG Kanja and DCI Amin to shed light on the whereabouts of security analyst Mbijiwe.
By Our Reporter,Nairobi.
High Court Judge Martin Muya has issued fresh summons to the Inspector General Police Douglas Kanja and the Directorate of Criminal Investigation (DCI) Momhamed Amin to appear in court on February 3 to shed light on the whereabouts of Mwenda Mbijiwe.
Last year, the court had issued summons for the two to appear on December 16,2025 but they failed to appear on what was told was failure of service of summons.
The court declined an application by the state lawyer Patrick Barasa that there are already affidavits filed on behalf of the DCI and IG by competent officers and that there is no need to issue new summons for them to appear.
This is after the defence lawyer told the court that the affidavits had been sworn by a subordinate officer and that there was a need for the IG and the DCI to come and put the matter to rest.
The judge ordered that summons be served upon them and they appear before court on February,3,2026.
Last year the judge warned parties against further delaying in the case over the disappearance of security analyst Mwenda Mbijiwe
This is after IG Kanja and DCI Amin failed to personally appear in court on Tuesday following previous summons.
“Let’s all endeavour kindly to resolve this issue. I won’t call it murder disappearance of one of us. Let’s not play games, kindly!” the judge said, stressing the seriousness of the matter four years after Mbijiwe’s disappearance.
The two senior police officials had been summoned to explain Mbijiwe’s whereabouts but failed to attend the proceedings in person.
Instead, they were represented by lawyer Paul Nyamodi and an investigating officer.
Their absence prompted Mbijiwe’s mother, the applicant in the case, to urge the court to issue warrants of arrest against Kanja and Amin for alleged contempt.
Nyamodi, however, opposed the application, arguing that the summons had not been served on his clients.
He further asked the court to allow the investigating officer present to address the court, maintaining that the officer was best placed to explain the status of the investigations.
“I took time at the beginning to explain that the investigating officer is present and that the court made directions for the two senior officers without having had an opportunity to hear the status of the investigations,” Nyamodi told the court.
Under questioning by Justice Muya, the investigating officer clarified that Mbijiwe’s mother had not declined to record a statement as earlier averred.
He told the court that two missing persons reports had been made one by Mbijiwe’s wife at Lang’ata Police Station and another in 2021.
Lawyers for Mbijiwe’s family pushed back, insisting that the central issue was not who made the report but the fact that a missing persons report had indeed been lodged.
The exchanges drew further caution from the court, with Justice Muya urging candour and cooperation from all parties.
The judge directed all sides to file and serve the relevant documents and ordered them to appear for further proceedings on January 23, 2026 as the court continues to seek answers over Mbijiwe’s disappearance.
Mbijiwe, a security analyst and former military officer, went missing in June 2021. His disappearance remains unresolved.
Mbijiwe’s mother, Jane Gatwiri, has previously addressed journalists.
Gatwiri maintains that she believes her son is still alive despite the prolonged silence and lack of answers from authorities.
“If at all they killed my son, God in heaven is watching them. They are going to pay very soon,” she said.
[DNK-International@January 23,2026]