Uganda restores full access to social media platforms

By Xinhua.

Uganda on Monday announced the full restoration of access to social media platforms, two weeks after a nationwide shutdown imposed during the country’s general and local elections.

Nyombi Thembo, executive director of the Uganda Communications Commission, told Xinhua in a telephone interview that access to social media platforms had been restored with immediate effect.

Facebook, however, remains inaccessible, having been blocked since the 2021 polls.

Thembo said the internet shutdown announced on January 13, ahead of the January 15 general elections, was implemented in the interest of national security, public safety, peace, and public order.

The full restoration followed the declaration of incumbent President Yoweri Museveni as the winner of the 2026 presidential election, after securing more than 7.9 million votes out of about 11.3 million valid ballots cast.

Internet services were partially restored five days after the polls, although access to most social media platforms remained restricted until Monday.

[DNK-International@January 27,2026]

Read Previous

Kahiga Meets 2025 KCSE Graduate

Read Next

China Invites Journalists to Cover Annual “two sessions”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular