By Our Correspondent,Seme.
Illegal gold mining activities in Seme,Kisumu County, have officially been suspended following a government directive targeting unauthorized mining operations across the country.
According to authorities,the decision followed a directive issued by the National Intelligence service (NIS) and Security Committee ordering the closure of all illegal mining activities in Kenya.
According to sources who talked to DNK-International,a multi agency committee in Seme convened a meeting on May 11 and established that gold mining was the dominant mining activity in the area.
Investigations further revealed that although about 280 artisanal miners are organized under two social service groups, none of them was registered with the Ministry of Mining or possess the required mining licences and permits.
Authorities identified four active mining sites operating within the sub-county in Kopingo, Korwenje,Omuya and Otwer areas.
On May 14, 2026,a public stakeholders’ meeting was held at Kopingo trading centre and attended by about 200 people.
The meeting was led by Seme Deputy County Commissioner Elizabeth Ocholi alongside Kisumu County NEMA Director Leonard Ofula, Kisumu County Inspector of Mines Abdullahi Said, security officials led by the Sub-County Police Commander, and other relevant government department heads.

During the meeting, officials noted that three sensitization meetings on mining regulations had previously been conducted since June 2025 in an effort to educate miners on compliance requirements.
The government directed all artisanal miners to form and register cooperatives, acquire Environmental and Social Impact Assessment licences from NEMA, obtain consent from landowners, and apply for mining permits and licences from the Ministry of Mining.
Miners were also instructed to adhere to safety standards at mining shafts and sites, use proper protective gear, avoid child labour, and maintain proper accountability records.
Pursuant to Section 202 of the Mining Act Cap 306 Laws of Kenya, Kisumu County Inspector of Mines Said formally issued and read out a stop order halting all illegal mining activities within Seme with immediate effect from May 14, 2026.
[DNK-International@May 15,2026]